Moral Dilemma
Because of a question that was posed by my son, I was faced
with a quandary that I should have been better prepared for, but I wasn’t. For anyone who knows me, my stance on the
supernatural and spiritual belief is well-known. As it pertains to the impression of my
position on my son, I always thought that my de facto answer should be
something like “when you’re older, we can talk about it. For now, take in all the information you can,
and draw your own conclusion.” I think
that even though he is my son and my responsibility, leveling that kind of
information may inhibit his ability to develop his own critical thinking
abilities, similarly to how exposing him to a religious tradition would.
My son asked, “Dad, does God really exist?” My cop-out answer was to quickly say, “people
have different opinions, and if you’re interested, use what you can to make
your own opinion.” My dilemma is that I
very much want to share with him the conclusions I have reached, and by what
means. I want to spare him having to
toil with this question for years. I
would love to jump start his ability to reason, and to use the overwhelming
evidence to contradict the foundations that the current incarnations of religion
stand for. I would genuinely take pleasure
in sharing with him the collective works of great writers and thinkers of the
past and present, like Spinoza, Lucretius, Einstein, Orwell, Hitchens, Dawkins,
etc. That there are so many points of
view and boundless examples and information from which he could form his own
opinion. And that exercise, I think,
would be so much more rewarding than
taking the false comfort of falling back on wishes and hopes, and molding those
into a belief system.
What force drives me to want so badly to discuss this with
my son? It is due to the fundamental
belief, one which I would like to think could be shared by the whole of
humanity, which is that it is immoral to lie to children. I think that it is reprehensible that you can
threaten children with eternal damnation and suffering for not following the
outdated traditions of two thousand years ago.
The argument, I would guess, could be made, that without
those religious foundations, how ever would I be able to teach my son about
what is good, and just, and what is wicked and evil? My reply would be simply that one apparently
has nothing to do with the other. The
morality of religion, as has been shown throughout history, is barbaric at
best. If I take the only evidence I
have, the historical and more recent actions of those claiming to act on the
behalf of their god’s will, I should be able to work out how to figure out
right from wrong just fine, thank you.
Comments
Post a Comment